“Raising children calls for an orderly process of handing on the faith. This is made difficult by current lifestyles, work schedules and the complexity of today’s world, where many people keep up a frenetic pace just to survive. Even so, the home must continue to be the place where we learn to appreciate the meaning and beauty of the faith, to pray and to serve our neighbor. Family catechesis is of great assistance as an effective method in training young parents to be aware of their mission as the evangelizers of their own family.” (Pope Francis, Amoris Laetitia #287)
A Family of Faith is an alternative to traditional religious education that encourages and equips you as parents to teach your children the faith. By attending two meetings a month, parents who participate receive everything they need to teach their children about the Catholic Faith at home. Our Family of Faith program enables you as Catholic parents to assume your primary role as educators of your children. We help you deepen your own understanding of the faith and provide you with the tools and resources you need to instill in your children a love of Christ and His Church. Most importantly, we provide you with a detailed picture of what an authentic and vibrant Catholic family looks like, as well as the tools to implement this life in your home.
A Family of Faith Program Overview
* There is a general theme throughout the whole year that all our families will learn together. The theme for this 2017-2018 year is The Creed.
* Parents will gather the first Tuesday of each month (August-May) to learn everything necessary to fulfill your role as the primary educators of your children.
* Parents then teach their children at home two lessons with the easy-to-use A Family of Faith parent guide and student activity books.
* On the fourth Sunday of the month (August-May), all the families will gather together after the 9:30am Mass for activities ranging from picnics and feast day celebrations to prayer groups and adoration.
Family Catechesis FAQ:
1. What materials do we get/need?
- You will receive one parent book with all the information you need to teach your children the faith. This is included with your registration fee.
- Each child will receive an activity book with resources and activities to learn each theme for the year. These are included with your registration fee.
- You will also need to have basic art/school supplies for the activities.
- Each family will need a Bible (New American Bible or New Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition) and a Catechism of the Catholic Church. These can be purchased off Amazon or from any Catholic book store.
- Parents come together the first Tuesday of the month (6:30-8:00pm) to learn the material and whole families come together the fourth Sunday of the month after the 9:30am Mass (10:30am-12:00pm).
- Parents are responsible for teaching their children two lessons each month at home.
- The parent book begins each theme with an essay explaining the theme.
- At the monthly parent session we will teach you everything you need to know about the theme and give you more resources to help you learn more and be able to teach your children.
- You can always call, e-mail, or visit us in the rectory for further support, help, and information.
- Everyone learns the same material all year. The curriculum is the same across the board all year.
- The children’s activity book has age appropriate activities for all ages. This way, you teach all your children at the same time and then give each child the activity appropriate for their age to assist in learning the material.
- $200.00 per family
- Call, e-mail, or visit us in the rectory and we will help you. As a parish, it is our ministry and priority to support you in your vocation and role as a parent.
- Each child MUST take part in Family Catechesis for TWO YEARS before receiving any Sacrament per Archdiocesan policy.
- This means regular attendance by parents and families at the two monthly gatherings.
- There will be TWO retreat days scheduled for each Sacramental year (2nd & 8th grade) to help prepare the students.
- During this year focused on The Creed (2017-2018), each family will work on and complete a Family Storybook that will track your progress and lessons throughout the year. This will be collected and given back at each family gathering and presented at the end of the year (May).
- There will also be some other assignments we will ask you to turn in as a family.
- We understand that work schedules are demanding and many parents can’t control their work schedule. If you are unable to attend a Sunday Family gathering we ask that you try to find a way for your children to join us (another family may be willing to bring them). Again, we understand if your family can’t attend but if your children are able to come that would be fine.
- Parents can always turn assignments in at the next Parent Meeting to show us you are completing the assignments (this is important for those preparing to receive a Sacrament).
- You can certainly bring your children to the Parent Meeting on the first Tuesday of the month. We will have activities for them while we take the time to teach you, our parents, the theme for that month.
For information about the Family Catechisis program, contact Lourdes Ryczek, Religious Ed Coordinator
at (773) 835-3622 or by email StEdwardReligiousEd@gmail.com